May Sheu PT
May is determined to help her patients move stronger and move longer, always striving to improve her skills. She believes in life-long learning and that one can always acquire more knowledge. Her post graduate training includes advanced manual therapy and manipulation, IMS, Pilates rehabilitation, craniosacral therapy, visceral manipulation and neural manipulation. For the past 5 years, she has been heavily involved in the study of osteopathy through the Barral Institute and Upledger Institute and enjoys traveling throughout North America for her courses. This forms an integrated, whole body approach with profound effects on releasing body tensions and restrictions which then resolve symptoms. She is a qualified teaching assistant for both of these institutes.
In addition to providing care at Cedar, May also works at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Royal Columbian Hospital and enjoys the privilege of cradling and providing specialized care for the little souls who are frightened and have to be separated from their parents at birth.
Dancing is a passion for May before her family came along. She was a ballet dancer and a competitive ballroom dancer. She understands the physical, mental and psychological demands of a dancer and strives to combine her professional and personal experience in getting her dancers dancing longer and dancing stronger in their capacity.
In her spare time, May enjoys spending time with her family, skiing and biking in the summer. She is also conscientious about her health and fitness as you will find her exercising on the Pilates and Gyrotonic equipment on a regular basis. She is fluent in Cantonese and conversational Mandarin.
- arthritis care
- balance issues
- concussion treatment
- craniosacral therapy
- full body functional assessment
- IMS, dry needling
- infant, pediatric care
- lymphatic drainage
- manual therapy
- manual traction
- myofascial release
- neural, vascular manipulation
- sciatica treatment
- sports injury, return to sport
- taping, bracing
- TMJ pain
- vestibular rehab, vertigo, BPPV
- visceral manipulation
- Clinic nickname: May “Soft Touch” Sheu
- Favourite book: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Favourite food: 80-90% extra dark chocolate
- Favourite leisure activities / hobbies: Jogging outside on a nice day with blue sky or along the beach
- Favourite movie: The Joy Luck Club – it reflects my heritage and I like playing MJ!
- Favourite place: Maui, Hawaii (who doesn’t like Hawaii?)
- Favourite sport: Dance of course, and yes it is a sport!
- Kryptonite: Curiosity – wanting to learn and find out more about things that catch my attention
- Most embarrassing moment: Passed gas while with a patient (I will try not to do that again)
- Most known for: My passion for learning in personal & professional development
- Most thankful for: Besides my family? It would be my profession as a physio…I truly love my job and my patients are my teachers
- Something you may not know about her: I would have liked to have been a singer but I have a terrible voice. Maybe one day I can get good enough to join a choir
- Superhuman talent: Able to communicate with the cellular intelligence of a body with my hands – still in progress
- Useless Talent: I don’t believe in this!