Why Visit A Chiropractor
If you are dealing with issues like joint pain, backache or headache, consider visiting the chiropractor to help you recover. Everyday, millions of people around the world benefit from chiropractic care, a natural, effective treatment approach that has helped many different conditions.
Chiropractic benefits include helping to address problems such as:
- back pain
- neck pain
- arthritis and joint pain, and
- pregnancy issues.
Despite its popularity, there is sometimes confusion about chiropractic care, including how the practice works and how chiropractors are trained.
What Is Chiropractic?
What is chiropractic? There are a number of definitions depending on who you ask. According to the World Federation of Chiropractic, the meaning of chiropractic is: “A health profession concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, and the effects of these disorders on the function of the nervous system and general health. There is an emphasis on manual treatments including spinal adjustment and other joint and soft-tissue manipulation”.
Here is another chiropractic definition, this time according to the Association of Chiropractic Colleges: “Chiropractic is a healthcare discipline that emphasizes the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery
The practice of chiropractic focuses on the relationship between structure (primarily the spine) and function (as coordinated by the nervous system) and how that relationship affects the preservation and restoration of health. In addition, doctors of chiropractic recognize the value and responsibility of working in cooperation with other health care practitioners when in the best interest of the patient”.
How Chiropractic Treatments Work:
Much of the benefit associated with seeing a chiropractor is due to patients receiving specific chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic adjustments work by helping to restore proper movement and function to your joints and body which improves your body’s ability to repair and heal itself. Safety is paramount.
Chiropractic adjustments can reduce the physical stress placed on your body, freeing up your body’s energy and resources to be used towards disease prevention and maintaining a healthy homeostasis and equilibrium. Chiropractic care aims to address the whole body, enhancing your ability to think, move and perform.
- Chiropractors pride themselves on taking a natural, hands-on, drug-free, non-surgical approach to helping their patients reach their health goals. Essentially, the principle is that the body has an amazing, innate ability to heal itself (under the right conditions); it is the chiropractor’s role to help foster an environment that facilitates this inner-healing process where safety is assured.
- Because the nervous system controls every cell and organ in your body, chiropractors focus their attention on the health of the spine and joints by ensuring proper movement and mechanics. If your spine and joints lose proper movement or mechanics, then adjustments are used to help restore this.
Why Get Chiropractic Adjustments?
Many things can lead to spine and joint problems. Some of the more common causes include:
- a slip or fall (ie. “macrotrauma”)
- the entire spine misaligning globally due to poor posture
- joint swelling caused by damage done to the joint
- an inflammatory response caused by a poor diet, or
- osteoporosis or degenerative changes of the spine or intervertebral discs.
Results will of course vary from person to person