Dance Physiotherapy is a unique field in physiotherapy. The main focus is on improving a dancers’ health and wellness. Dancing stronger and longer is the goal at Cedar Chiropractic & Physiotherapy. Our Burnaby physiotherapy clinic on Hastings St specializes in Dance Physiotherapy which integrates clinical expertise, a dancer’s values and scientific research into the decision making process in your care
Dance Injuries And Treatment In Burnaby Heights
Your Body Is Your Tool
For someone such as a golfer or a badminton player, their tools include their golf clubs and badminton racquets which can be upgraded and replaced with newer technology. As a dancer, you only have one body! It is crucial to learn how to “switch on” each part of your body – each muscle and joint when you want to, for optimal movement control
North Burnaby Dance Physiotherapy Services @ Cedar
- Dance Performance Enhancement: Do you lack the physical strength and flexibility or is there a physiological reason for your performance challenges? We can help you identify the source
- Dance Screening: Aimed at helping you discover your body’s strengths and weaknesses and the implications they might have on preventing injury
- Dancer’s Hip Turn Out: Are you using the correct ‘turn-out’ muscle group? Do you have enough mobility and strength in your hips?
- Dancers’ Injury Management: Optimize your body’s healing ability for a speedier recovery through one-on-one physiotherapy sessions
- Pointe Assessment: Do you have the core stability, feet and ankle strength and flexibility to dance on pointe?
- Onsite Dance Movement Assessment: We will come to your dance studio where your take classes and practice to assess your movement in action
- Exercise Rehab: Expand your body’s potential by incorporating core, strengthening, clinical pilates exercises and other exercise systems into your dance training
- Core Stability for Dancers: Do you have enough control, awareness and strength in your ‘power house’? Is the ‘dog wagging the tail’ or is the ‘tail wagging the dog’?
- Workshops for dancers and dance teachers
Our specialized team of North Burnaby dance physiotherapists are here to help! We have the skills to assess a dancers’ physical body and identify individualized strengths and weaknesses leading you to the path that excels you towards your dancing goals.
As a competitive ballroom dancer, I went to May because of chronic knee problems. Not only did May fix my physical issues, she also taught me how to coordinate my body properly and apply it to my own training. The best way I can describe it is, my coaches can give me the puzzle pieces but cannot help me complete the puzzle as they cannot help me “feel” the movements on my behalf. With strong background in ballet, International Standard and Latin and pilates, May provided imagery and biomechanical reference that helped me string together the information given by my coaches and save them (and myself) frustrations of attempting to hammer information into a guy who naturally cannot “feel” it. At this point the efficiency in every private lesson that I take is greatly increased. I feel very lucky to have met May and look forward to continuing on this journey with her support.